The goal of this list is to provide information regarding kidney disease diagnosis and treatment, information specific to amyloidosis, and kidney biopsy information. Some of these links below are directed towards veterinarians and use a lot of medical terminology, while others are directed to pet owners. We recommend reviewing this information with your veterinarian so you both may get a better understanding of the kidney disease in the Bracco Italiano.
Kidney Disease Diagnosis
– IRIS Staging of Chronic Kidney Disease: From the International Renal Interest Society, their website (iris-kidney.com) has many educational articles for pet owners and veterinarians.
– Urine Specific Gravity: Information regarding the urine specific gravity test (urine concentration) and how itapplies to kidney disease.
– Proteinuria in dogs and cats: A summary of diagnostics steps and treatment of protein loss in the urine.
Kidney Disease Treatment
– Consensus Recommendations for Standard Therapy of Glomerular Disease in Dogs – From the International Renal Interest Society, published in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
– IRIS Treatment Guidelines for Chronic Kidney Disease
Kidney Disease Information
– Renal Amyloidosis in Dogs: A Retrospective Study of 91 Cases with Comparison of the Disease between Shar-Pei and Non-Shar-Pei Dogs
– Educational Information on Amyloidosis from Dr. Linda Tintle, who has been instrumental in Shar Pei amyloidosis research.
Kidney Biopsy Information
– International Veterinary Renal Pathology Service: We recommend having all Bracco kidney tissue evaluated by IVRPS whenever possible due to the consistency, quality, and in depth analysis performed. Their website has information on submission guidelines, cost, testing available, and contact information. IVRPS will evaluate kidney samples obtained pre- and post-mortem. Their fee schedule and kit request form are available online..